For an administrative Specialist with focus on Event Management
Cooperation on Peace, Security and Responsible Resource Governance in the Great Lakes Region of Africa
Co-funded by the BMZ and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) has been mandated to implement the third project phase of support to the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) from December 2022 – May 2026. The overall objective is to strengthen cooperation on the responsible governance of natural resources for peace and security in the Great Lakes Region. In addition, a second co-financing was concluded with the European Union (EU) Delegation to Rwanda to support bilateral activities to enhance “Sustainable Development of the Mining Sector in Rwanda” in cooperation with the Rwanda Mines, Gas and Petroleum Board (RMB).
On a regional level, the ICGLR finalized its Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026 which serves as a guiding framework for the institution in its efforts to implement the Pact on Security, Stability and Development. ICGLR’s Strategic Plan aims to foster the role of ICGLR as a regional force for peace, security, stability and development. In this regard, 5 strategic priorities have been identified: a) Peace and Security, b) Democracy and Good Governance, c) Economic Development and Regional Integration, d) Gender, Women and Children, and e) Enhancing Organizational Capacities of the Conference Secretariat.
In line with ICGLR’s Strategic Plan the project outputs of the third phase focus on three areas, namely i) Organizational Development of ICGLR, ii) Mineral Resource Governance, and iii) Peace and Security/Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPSS). In addition, the project is also supporting one of the decentralized organs of ICGLR in its organizational and programmatic development, namely the Regional Training Facility (RTF) in Kampala, Uganda. The GIZ project staff is located in Kigali, with colleagues also based in Kampala, Bujumbura and Goma.
GIZ Rwanda is searching candidates for the position of Administrative Specialist with focus on Event Management for Cooperation on Peace, Security and Responsible Resource Governance in the Great Lakes Region of Africa.
- Open minded, respectful, and confident personality in combination with very good communication skills
- Supports other team members in the Administration and Finance Team as part of a collaborative approach
Fixed Term: 01.03.23 – 29.02.24
Position: (1) one
The administrative Specialist performs the following responsibilities and tasks:
A. Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Event Management
- Leads and coordinates the preparation and implementation of events organized by the project, including establishing an event checklist and ensuring tasks and deadlines are respected by the team members involved in the event
- Ensures an efficient communication with the project’s partners on the contents and logistics of an event
- Establishes logistical notes for events and is responsible for the event’s logistics on the ground
- Draws up a participant list and ensures an efficient participant management and communication
- Ensures a proper documentation of events and supports in collecting relevant documents e.g. for participant’s travel settlements
- Establishes and submits procurement requests relevant for an event
- Establishes and updates quarterly and monthly events calendars in close collaboration with project staff and partners
- Organizes administrative and logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops etc.)
- Manages and updates of the project’s contact database on a quarterly basis
- Takes on responsibility for archiving documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules
- Ensures security requirements of respective GIZ Country Offices are in place
- Supports financial management and project accounting processes, such as cash withdrawals, keeping the cashbook, bank accounts, preparing and entering vouchers, receivable management, checking of local invoices & checking of travel settlements (local and international)
- Supports procurement processes, such as advising technical project staff on the mode of service delivery, assisting in the establishment of documents for local procurements and tenders or following up on ongoing procurement processes in the GIZ Country Office
B. Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Qualifications and professional experience
- At least five (7) years of relevant work experience in the area of administration, logistics and event management showing a track record of organizing complex regional events.
- University degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in Business Management/Administration, Logistics, Finance or related areas.
- Regional or international work experience is a plus
- Work experience in development cooperation is a plus
- Other knowledge and additional competences
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office, i.e. Excel, Teams, Word etc.)
- Ability to work independently, self-structure the workload and come up with proactive ideas on how to improve the project’s workflows.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team.
- Languages: Excellent oral and written French and English is required. Knowledge of other languages (Arabic, German, Kirundi, Portuguese, or Swahili) is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Open minded, respectful, collaborative and confident personality in combination with very good communication skills.
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 24th February 2023 at 4:00 PM by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments should be put together in one PDF file not larger than 2 MB. Please quote the job title in the subject.
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please let us know, if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to consider, when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali,
GIZ reserves all rights!
Sinior program manager