IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Creating Markets Advisory (CMA) teams are embedded in the IFC regional teams and engage primarily with IFC’s government clients on policy and institutional reform in support of IFC’s country strategies, which seek to create markets for private sector investment, both by IFC and by other investors. CMA team members work closely with the World Bank to leverage the Bank’s work with governments on IFC priorities and engage with key external stakeholders to strengthens IFC’s relationships with client countries and with donor partners.
In Rwanda, CMA has ongoing projects supporting (1) development of the tourism sector, (2) development of capital markets, and (3) women’s inclusion in the private sector. IFC also prioritizes agribusiness, affordable housing, and pharmaceuticals, so there may be opportunities in these sectors to develop new projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Analyze client, sector, and market data to design potential solutions to create and unlock markets.
• Engage with country offices to identify target clients.
• Lead client meetings, share best practices, and engage with clients to troubleshoot project issues.
• Contribute to the country program delivery and pipeline development.
• Manage relationships with stakeholders internally and externally as well as development partners to understand their interests and build support for client engagement work.
• Oversee diagnostic engagements to identify client needs as the basis for developing a proposal and designing advisory projects. Engage with peers, including industry, sector, product, and ES&G specialists as well as legal, M&E, and finance staff, to integrate feedback on proposed projects to improve concept and project approvability.
• Create content for client deliverables, including analysis, assessments based on global benchmarking, training materials, best practice guides, standards, and papers or presentations containing recommendation to clients.
• Lead implementation of projects that includes ensuring reporting requirements are met.
• Contribute to raising donor funds to support the program.
• Master’s degree in a related field and at least 8–12 years of relevant experience. Related fields of education include business, finance, or economics or an area of expertise specific to a sector, subject matter, or industry specialty. Relevant experience could include a proven track record in business consulting or investment banking, or operational experience in the sector or technical or professional field.
• Capacity to understand, enable, and participate in market creation opportunities for multiple countries by demonstrating long-term perspective, open-mindedness, persistence, innovation, and ability to leverage all available tools (including de-risking tools); good understanding of the roles and value-add of IFC and WBG in new markets.
• Has a reputation for listening carefully to clients and stakeholders and asking targeted questions to understand their needs and determine the viability of a business opportunity.
• Ability to build long-term engagement with clients and credibility by demonstrating knowledge of their business, sector, and culture, and maintain an ongoing dialogue on their business needs, operations, and strategies as well as opportunities for strategically aligned business deals.
• Ability to supervise staff by providing technical guidance and delegating work to build and effectively use talents of staff and balance workloads.
• Ability to guide, advise, mentor, and coach junior staff and peers to develop and broaden their scope of skills, including providing on-the-job learning opportunities. Critical for FCS and other challenging markets.
• Demonstrated in-depth understanding of and ability to apply project management and M&E concepts, including theory of change. Able to translate project objectives into output and outcome indicators to monitor performance and measure success.
• Able to effectively monitor the work of consultants to ensure appropriate methodologies and techniques are used and progress remains within budget and set time frames. Is able to determine when additional expertise or resources are needed and when to intervene to resolve problems.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.