The Project Manager in charge of Data Exchange and Information Systems Interoperability at Smart Africa Secretariat: (Deadline 6 November 2022)
Project Manager in charge of Data Exchange and Information Systems Interoperability
- Position: Project Manager in charge of Data Exchange and Information Systems Interoperability
- Duration: One (1) year, renewable
- Location: Kigali, Rwanda
- Deadline: November 6th, 2022 at 5:00 PM Kigali time (GMT+2)
About Smart Africa
The Smart Africa Alliance is a partnership among African countries adhering to the Smart Africa Manifesto (herein after referred to as “the Manifesto”), the African Union (AU Commission, AUDA, specialized institutions and Regional Economic Communities), the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), the African Development Bank (AfDB), the World Bank, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), the Private Sector, Academic and Research Institutions.
On 30th-31st January 2014, the Smart Africa Manifesto was endorsed by all Heads of State and Government of the African Union at the 22nd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union in Addis Ababa. This development places the Manifesto at the heart of the ICT agenda in Africa beyond just the 7 original signatories at the Summit to all African countries. The Smart Africa Alliance has since grown to include 32 African countries that represent 815+ million people.
The Smart Africa Manifesto aims to put ICT at the center of the continental and national socio-economic development of Member States. This means increasing access to ICT solutions, improving accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT, promoting the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication, strengthening the private sector, leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development.
The Smart Africa Alliance as an organization is the framework for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Manifesto, designed to make it actionable. The Smart Africa Alliance is not a profit-oriented organization.
Data exchange and the Smart Africa Trust Alliance (SATA)
SATA will ensure the interoperability of national data registries and systems following a set of mutually agreed data sharing rules and technical standards by African states to enable cross-border services in various sectors such as health.
Digital Health in Africa
A healthy population yields economic dividends of more productive population and healthy children becoming productive adults. According to World Health Organization Africa Regional Health Report 2014, “It is estimated that for every 10% increase in life expectancy at birth there is a corresponding rise in economic growth of 0.4% per year.” COVID-19 has highlighted the often-perilous state of Africa’s healthcare infrastructure and accelerated digital health interventions. It is essential to deepen the agenda on digital health to strengthen health systems and allow for better coordination and cross-fertilization among countries.
The Smart Africa’s Digital Health flagship project will therefore assist African governments with building ecosystems for virtual and data-driven health and care at national and cross-border levels. The project will support selected strategic initiatives to move the continent’s agenda on accelerating digital health, and hence contributing to the Smart Africa’s objective to develop a digital society.
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit a Project Manager (PM) in charge of Data Exchange and Information Systems Interoperability with responsibility for management of various strategic projects, in close consultation with stakeholders and partners.
The PM will provide required technical and administrative support to coordinate and implement project activities across Smart Africa Member States while ensuring effective linkages to the Smart Africa core objectives and activities.
The other general duties of the PM will include:
- Establish best practices for implementing data exchange and systems interoperability.
- Oversee the development and use of data systems.
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing and systems interoperability.
- Design and document Smart Africa evolving strategy, including produce relevant slides, presentations, and key messaging.
- Help Africa bring new allies and strengthen the commitment of existing partners.
- Assist with the management of relevant working groups.
- Establish close collaboration and working arrangements with an interdisciplinary team composed of experts from Governments, Private sector, non-Government organizations and other professional associations, to ensure good coordination, collaboration, and timely conduct of Smart Africa activities.
- Follow through mobilization of funds /resources from other development partners and institutions to complete the financing of the Smart Africa projects.
- Provide periodical reports on the progress of project activities and issues arising.
- Steering processes and communication channels with policymakers and stakeholders.
- Planning (also collaborate), executing and reviewing workshops, pre-and post-event communication with participants and stakeholders.
- Drawing project budgets.
- Any other assignments which will be assigned from time to time by the management of Smart Africa.
- A University degree in Computer Systems, Information Technology, Information/Data Systems, Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or other relevant fields.
- A Master’s degree in the related fields is an added advantage
- At least Eight (8) years of relevant work experience
- Understanding of the tech policy and regulatory environment in practise for data sharing and management.
- Experience with databases, writing and executing SQL; familiarity with ETL processes
- Experience with computer systems interoperability processes, standards and technologies
- Experience with health IT data format and transport standards including HL7, FHIR, RESTful APIs.
- Experience with digital health development in the government (Ministry of ICT and/or Health) will be an advantage.
- Experience working in multi stakeholder development environments on the African continent with regional, continental and international partners/organizations.
- Proficient knowledge of various project/implementation phases, i.e., discovery, design, build, run.
General attributes and skills:
- Self-starter with high degree of flexibility, tolerance for ambiguity, ability to work independently and on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively explain strategy and approach to external partners audiences.
- Strong management skills including ability to provide strategic guidance, technical oversight, build strong teams, mentor staff, develop work plans, and manage budgets and project expenditures.
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (Government Ministries, development partners, private sector, NGOs and Academia);
- Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation, reporting and computing skills and familiarity with modern communication systems
- Experience in creative writing.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Strong competence in the use of standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite or others).
- A project management professional (PMP) certification will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated business development and strategy knowledge will be an added advantage
- The workstation for this role is Kigali, Rwanda.
- The selected candidate must be ready to start shortly after the hiring process is completed.
- Fluency in both French and English.
- The good working knowledge of another language such as Portuguese or Arabic will be an advantage.
Duration of the assignment
The PM will report directly to the Unit Manager in charge of Cross-border Digital Trade and Services in the Directorate in charge of Digital Transformation and Services.
Application Instructions and Deadline
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: email@example.com, with mention of “PM in charge of Data Exchange and Information Systems Interoperability” in the subject line:
The deadline for submitting applications is November 6th,2022 at 5:00 PM Kigali (GMT+2) time.
Only selected candidates for interview will be contacted.
Any late application will be automatically rejected.