Deputy Executive Director at Health Development Initiative (HDI): (Deadline 30 May 2023)
Position Title : Deputy Executive Director
Duty Station : Kigali with occasional travel
Start Date : Immediate
Salary : Competitive
Reporting line : Executive Director
Health Development Initiative (HDI) strives to empower individuals, communities, and institutions to improve inclusive development and accessibility of health care for all using rights-based programming. HDI builds sustainable alliances to advocate for and support inclusive, health-friendly policies and services for everyone regardless of social, cultural, economic or any other status. HDI brings together a team of highly qualified, dedicated staff members with unique and valuable skills and passions that complement HDI’s work. HDI’s diverse staff bring experience in sexual and reproductive health, nursing, counseling, clinic psychology, public health, human
rights, evidence-based advocacy, litigation, communications, M&E, and research. HDI focuses its
work on three thematic areas: sexual and reproductive health and rights, human rights and the right to health, and community health and development.
The Deputy Executive Director is responsible for the leadership and management of all program and administrative functions at Health Development Initiative. Working under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director will ensure operations are running smoothly, and provide guidance to the program directors he/she/they will supervise. He/she/they must exemplify values of high ethical standards, integrity, and fairness. She/he/they must act in the best interests of HDI in all contexts, and is responsible for ensuring this culture prevails across the organization’s employees and contractors.
Under the direct and overall supervision of the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director shall work under the following terms and conditions:
2. Key tasks and responsibilities
- Supervise program directors and provide guidance to HDI program and administrative staff consistent with policies and regulations adopted by the Board of Directors and Executive
- Identify gaps in budget management, program assessment and program execution, and provide financial guidance and monitoring of subprojects, procurement, and safekeeping of financial data and documents, as well as any other issues that may arise;
- Oversee HDI project implementation and results to ensure that projects and programs are running smoothly according to HDI’s strategic objectives;
- Work closely with Department Directors and project coordinators to address needs regarding planning, implementation and monitoring of projects, strategies and work plans;
- Evaluate staff/facilitator performance periodically, make decisions on personnel (hiring and dismissal, placement, ), organize additional professional development training;
- Ensure that all HDI policies and procedures are being adhered to and advise in the development of new policies and procedures as
- Review TORs for external consultants, audits and project evaluations and any other external consultancies HDI chooses to undertake;
- Maintain excellent working relationships with staff at all levels, as well as with donors and other institutions involved in project
- Step in for the Executive Director where necessary when he is not in the office and maintain the same standards and policies as the Executive
- Treat all individuals with respect, respond sensitively to differences and encourage others to do the Role model for diversity and inclusion;
- When necessary, he/she will accomplish others tasks according to HDI needs as defined by the Executive
3. Qualifications and experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in public health, public administration, law, business administration, international relations, project management or any related field with relevant field Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Over 5 years proven experience managing donor-funded programs with active knowledge of project cycle management and results-based monitoring,
- Excellent ability to manage staff and provide leadership to subordinates,
- Proven ability to convene/chair high profile meetings and productively interact with a wide range of organizations
- Proven ability and passion to work for key populations and marginalized groups,
- Physically fit and able to cope with high stress and unusual working hours, including during the nights, and over the weekends,
- Intercultural and gender
4. Other skills
- Excellent analysis and critical thinking skills,
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of project management, budget allocation, and NGO operations
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks to program and administrative directors,
- Knowledge of SRHR, human rights, and advocacy is a must,
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is a must. Knowledge of written and spoken French will be an added
HDI provides equal opportunities to all people regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, age, class, background, or any other status.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Send CV/resume, letter of interest, and relevant document to [email protected] or submit hardcopies at our office by May 30th, 2023 at 11:59pm.