International Consultant: Full-Stack Web Developer for the Regional Coordination Operation Center (RCOC) and the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Center (RMIFC) at UNECA – United Nations Economic Commission for Africa: (Deadline 14 August 2023)
Result of Service4. RESULTS OF SERVICE
• A fully functional and responsive website suited for the communication and visibility of the RCOC and RMIFC
• Knowledge transfer and handing over of all components and dependencies of the website to the staff of the agency including complete updated documentation, source code in working condition, source computer files (HTML pages, graphics, databases, programs, etc.) in working condition, valid licenses, administrator accounts and latest credentials, and any other information or artifact artefact to ensure the regional maritime agency can take up the administration.
• Management, customization, and technical maintenance of the website independently of the service provider after the contractual period.
• To ensure the highest level of security and data protection, the Web Developer shall work closely with the RCOC/RMIFC team to ensure that the RCOC/RMIFC website complies with all relevant UN Office for Information and Communications Technology (OICT) cybersecurity rules and regulations throughout the development and operationalization process.
• Provide technical support to RCOC/RMIFC team. Technical support should include administration of hosting infrastructure and technical components of the RCOC/RMIFC website,
• Technical assistance and training to designated staff of centres for customizing content and layout in the RCOC/RMIFC website.
• System and performance monitoring; system maintenance and optimization for one year; identify, analyze, troubleshoot and fix issues, errors and bugs after the handover.Work Location Home based
Expected duration1 month
Duties and Responsibilities1. BACKGROUND AND JUSTIFICATION
This position, development of a static, content-based website for the Regional Coordination Operation Center of the Western Indian Ocean based in Seychelles and the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Center in Madagascar, requires an experienced, organized, systematic, and energetic full-stack Web developer with advanced experience in Drupal and WordPress development. The full-stack developer will be responsible for both front-end and back-end development and site theming. The position requires a combination of programming skills and in-depth knowledge of web development frameworks including PHP, HTML5, CSS, JS, React, NodeJS, etc., database management skills (MySQL, Postgre, etc.), web server management skills (Apache, IIS) and UI/UX design/aesthetics (understanding element arrangements on the screen, the colour and font choices, and so on).
The full-stack developer will be responsible for designing, and implementing new features and functionality, supporting, and guiding the website’s architecture, ensuring high performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the website for a regional maritime agency for one year. The website should be in English and French and should be optimized for access on different devices. The developer will also train staff from the RCOC and RMIFC on the management of the website.
The most suitable candidate will have a strong understanding of industry trends, the latest web development standards, and technologies, as well as the latest modules for well-known content management systems. Experience with responsive and adaptive design is also required. In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development, and deployment, with independent-level front-end and back-end knowledge is required
Qualifications/special skillsAcademic qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or information systems is preferred.
Experience: At least five years of extensive experience and fluency in building responsive data-driven websites using Drupal and WordPress.
• Experience with layout and design applications such as Adobe CS
• Experience with responsive and adaptive design is also required. In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development, and deployment, with independent-level front-end and back-end knowledge.
• Experience with version control systems (git) (optional)
• Experience in creating custom Drupal modules
• Extensive experience with Bootstrap
• Strong understanding of industry trends, the latest web development standards and technologies, as well as the latest modules for well-known content management systems.
• Ability to design custom-tailored Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture
• Advanced site-building experience including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels
• Ability to convert comprehensive layouts and wireframes into working HTML pages
• Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome Inspector, etc. (optional)
• Deep knowledge of cross-browser and platform consistencies/quirks
• Knowledge of PHP files and theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal theme layer (optional)
• Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g., Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs.
• Experience working with national, regional or/ and international organisations is preferred
• Demonstrated experience working under tight deadlines and delivering high-quality outputs.
• Ability to work independently, proactively and with little supervision.
LanguagesLanguage: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, English is required. French is an advantage.
Additional Information5. OUTPUTS/WORK ASSIGNMENT
1. A fully functional and responsive website suited for the communication and visibility of the RCOC and RMIFC
2. Knowledge transfer and handing over of all components and dependencies of the website to the staff of the agency, and training of staff on the management of the website
3. System maintenance and optimization for one year after the handover.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.