JOB ADVERT: PROCUREMENT AND LOGISTICS OFFICER
Established in 1995, Abacus is the leading distributor and manufacturer of pharmaceutical products in the East Africa region.
Import and Distribution are primarily drugs and surgical equipment which includes 30% of sales branded products (10% branded generic) and 70% unbranded “commodity” generic products.
The manufacturing plant was established in 2009 and is primarily for parenteral (IV fluids, ear, eye, and nose drops) pharmaceutical products sold in nine countries. The plant is the only parenteral manufacturer in Uganda, and the largest parenteral facility in the East African region, and supplies over 80% of the LVPs market in Uganda, and 35% of the EAC market.
Abacus Group has approximately 1200 employees, most of whom are based in East Africa.
At Abacus, we ensure optimal working conditions, ongoing support, and focused direction. Combined with cooperation, this should deliver positive results, opportunities, and benefits to both parties. Employees are the most valuable resource and thus, we encourage the innovative and distinct ideas that come with employees’ contributions.
The vision of Abacus is to be Africa’s trusted leader in providing quality health & wellness products and solutions.
ABACUS’s Mission is to be Africa’s number one health & Wellness Company across the spectrum of diagnostics, preventive and curative medicines, surgical and consumer health products, and solutions.
About the Role:
Department: Supply Chain
Unit: Procurement and Logistics
Reporting to: Head of Supply Chain with a dotted line to Country Head
We are looking for a qualified candidate to fill the job position of Procurement and Logistics Officer and the purpose of the position will be, but not limited to;
- Carry out procurement of goods, services, and works for Abacus by Rwanda’s regulations and Company policies and procedures.
- Procure goods, services, and works in the correct quantities, at the right time, and the right price.
- Ensure value for money for the company through appropriate procurement methods, price evaluation, negotiations, supplier relationship management, and management of contracts.
- To ensure that goods ordered by Abacus Pharma from Suppliers are transported to the final warehouse in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner and compliance with all regulatory requirements.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly Procurement Plan for review by Country Manager
- Ensures timely availability of products and other items as per user requirements and specifications
- Administer purchase orders and other transactions from requisition to completion
- Experience in sourcing pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and equipment
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received, thereby ensuring that all procurement documentation is appropriately filed
- Advise internal customers on the appropriate procurement process to be followed
- Manage the tender process in adherence to the Procurement Policy, inclusive of the following:
- Manage all inbound and outbound shipments
- Co-ordinate with suppliers for shipment bookings
- Ensure the accuracy of all documentation (PO, PFI, Invoice, and Packing list with batch Nos. + COA and other FDA documents) from clearing agents.
- In conjunction with the Head of the Supply Chain select carriers and negotiate contracts and rates
- Ensuring all operations adhere to laws, guidelines, and ISO requirements
- Managing contracts and relationships with logistics service providers
- Day-to-day engagement and relationship with relevant government agencies
- Work with Finance for timely payment of customs duty
- Manage transporters to ensure prompt and proper movement of shipments
- Responding to customer inquiries on logistics-related matters
- Track shipments, input data into the Import file, and update daily.
- Propose process improvements that make the supply chain more efficient and organized
- Preparing weekly shipment status reports along with future shipments delivered in particular months and sharing with relevant HODs.
- Prepare Daily Dispatch Reports.
- Weekly meetings with the internal logistics team and stakeholders.
- Filing and Document Retention
Key Performance Indicators:
- Shipping Document Accuracy
- Inventory Level Optimization
- Manage Spending as per the Budget
- Compliance with Regulatory requirements and Internal Policies
Key Working Relationships:
|Country Manager Sales Manager Finance Manager Company Pharmacist||FDA RRA Insurance Companies Clearing Agents Freight forwarder Shipping Line|
Technical Knowledge/ Skills:
- Commercial awareness.
- Technical & strategic planning skills.
- Decision-Making Skills.
- Negotiation & customer marketing skills.
- High business and financial acumen.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
Behavioral / Attitude Competencies:
- Respect for others.
- Result oriented.
- Open and Decisive.
- Team Work.
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Supply chain.
- 5 years experience preferably in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Knowledge of importing regulations is added advantage.
- Computer Literacy:
- Microsoft Office
- ERP Software Application experience
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the minimum criteria outlined above are invited to send their job application (cover letter and updated CV in one Pdf document) to email@example.com no later than 10th March 2023.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
**Please note that we will review applications on a first come first serve basis and might close the vacancy ahead of schedule when suitable candidates have been found.