Research Scientist at PIH – Partners In Health: (Deadline Ongoing)
Job Title: Research Scientist
Reports to:Director, Center for Leadership in Global Health Equity.
Location: Kigali, Rwanda, with occasional travel to Butaro campus.
The PhD Research Scientist will be supporting the Exemplars project “understanding and building resiliency in health care delivery to reduce amenable U5M during and after health shocks such as COVID-19”. This project will include the development of a program translation and dissemination tool kit; an Executive Education course aimed at teaching lessons in resiliency through an implementation science approach to participants from to two selected countries; country assessment research and application of lessons; and dissemination of results.
- Work closely with the two selected in-country teams, relevant stakeholders and study investigators during the implementation research training, field research implementation, data collection, analysis, dissemination and report writing;
- Organize and participate in investigator meetings and ensure regular project team meetings are held to review progress, issues, risks and consult on decision-making;
- Conduct scientific trainings and follow-up through UGHE’s Executive Education model;
- Develop the curriculum for the Executive Education course on implementation science, and identify and communicate with lecturers;
- Develop and lead creative strategies for ensuring research outputs are actionable and for monitoring policy and stakeholders’ engagement;
- Support and supervise course participants in data collection, qualitative and/or quantitative data analyses including the data management.
- Support and supervise the two country course participants in conducting literature searches and submitting ethics review applications;
- Monitor progress of the research projects, established timelines and milestones, intervening as needed to avoid delays;
- Lead the UGHE research team in coordinating course participants’ visit to Rwanda, and the delivery of the lectures, providing any logistical support as needed;
- Work with in-country partners and the UGHE research team throughout the process on in-country assessments, research, and capacity building in the Implementation Research approaches;
- Conduct restitution of research results and action – light, medium, or deep dissemination; including scientific presentations at high-level meetings/conferences, prepare high-level quality slide decks for current and future use;
- Pursue opportunities for the research team publication in quality, high-impact journals and other relevant venues;
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders during research implementation to identify gaps and create plans to address them and provide ongoing support to the research team;
- Implements and maintains quality control standards and evaluates overall research effectiveness;
- Establish a mechanism of attracting implementation research funding to UGHE;
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- PhD in dissemination and implementation research or related field with background in health policy as well as practice
- Extensive experience in implementation science and research (as implementor, policymaker, and researcher)
- Extensive knowledge and good sense of how to transfer skills of implementation research
- Experience running training programs
- Excellent writing skills
- Fluency in French and English
- Ability to engage in dissemination of implementation results and action.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff and visitors to our campus are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy. UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.