About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
Our passionate development team manages a range of web and mobile solutions to support our field operations, from registering millions of farmers and their orders, optimizing delivery truck loads and routes, tracking deliveries, collecting mobile payments, and analyzing loan repayments.
The department is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with 5+ years of experience to support financial solutions for our farmers. You will report to the Software Development Lead.
Our technologies include Java C#, NodeJS, CouchBase, React (Native), Docker/Kubernetes, and our tooling landscape is based on GitHub / JIRA / Slack / Azure DevOps.
- Work as part of a small, collaborative, and agile team of software developers
- Design, develop, document, test, and operate new and existing technology solutions according to our standards
- Ensure smooth progress of your projects
- Participate in your Agile team’s lifecycle
- Contribute to your department’s improvement by sharing knowledge, sharpening your skills, suggesting different ways of working, and developing
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in Java back-end development and skills with Spring-boot framework and Java (Jakarta) EE applications.
- Nice-to-have: Development experience on the MIFOS Fineract Platform.
- Experience with Continuous Delivery principles and related tools (Kubernetes, Azure DevOps, Docker)
- Hands-on experience in Microservices architecture
- Understanding of the Design Patterns, Architectural Blueprints, UML, and Application Design
- Hands-On experience with database development using SQL. Experience with PostgreSQL, Hibernate, and Spring Data.
- Angular 12 Development experience will be a plus.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and continuous integration Experience working in Agile
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of our countries of operation (Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia, Nigeria, and Ethiopia)
11 May 2023
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feels consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity, or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.